Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About St. Nicholas (444 Views)

Anonymous User
About St. Nicholas (444 Views)
December 06, 2008 09:22AM
Every day for some time now I have been posting in the Teen Forum "American Minute" by William Federer (it can be found here: AmericanMinute.com).

We placed it in the Teen's forum because we believe it is important for our young people to know something about our Christian/Judeo history as a country. So much of this truth has been taken out of the history books that our young people have no clue that America was founded as a nation that look to the God of Scripture to set up its laws and byways, seeking guidance from our Creator and His Son, Jesus Christ.

I found today's post to be of much interest, what with the Christmas season we are in. Just like the early days of our country's history, so much is loss and so is the truth lost not only with Christmas being more focused on humanistic things rather than the true reason for the season, the birth of Christ and He being given to us as God's love gift to a hurt and dying world, so is the historic truth of the man who became known as Santa Claus, Nicholas. Perhaps you can do a study on this man and share with your children how he examplied the Christian walk. He was a giver, following after His Lord, Jesus Christ. Nicholas had a part in writing the Nicone Creed, a fact that I was unaware of. I think this is important information to share with your children, both old and young. He is also a good example to show how truth gets distorted over time. In any case, I think it is an intersting read and that you would enjoy reading it for yourself.

God bless and remember to be a blessing to others!

American Minute for December 6th:

Greek Orthodox history tells of Nicholas being born to a wealthy, elderly couple in what is now Turkey in the year 280 AD. When his parents died, he generously gave to the poor. Upon hearing that a merchant went bankrupt and that creditors were planning on taking the merchant's daughters, Nicholas threw some money in the window at night to provide a dowry for the daughters to get married, thus saving them from a life of forced prostitution. When the father discovered who gave the money, Nicholas made him promise not to tell, thus inspiring the tradition of secret gift-giving on the anniversary of Nicholas' death, which was DECEMBER 6, 343 AD. Nicholas became the Bishop of Myra, was imprisoned during Emperor Diocletian's persecution of Christians, and was freed by Constantine. He attended the Council of Nicaea, helped write the Nicene Creed and preached against the worship of the fertility goddess "Diana" at Ephesus, resulting in her temple being torn down. In the 12th century, when Muslims Seljuks invaders killed Christians and turned churches into mosques, the bones of Nicholas were shipped to Italy, thus introducing the traditions of Saint Nicholas to Western Europe and eventually America.
Anonymous User
Re: About St. Nicholas (347 Views)
December 24, 2008 10:54AM
Wonderful Teachings@!

Merry Christmas Beloved Of The KING

In September, Carol And I Moved From Fresno, CA TO Elgin, IL (New Grand Son In South Elgin!)

Love The Christmas Snow!

Maranatha!

Love, Your Brother Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login