Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Minute - November 25, 2015 (467 Views)

Anonymous User
American Minute - November 25, 2015 (467 Views)
November 25, 2015 08:37PM
Born a slave in New York in 1797, she spoke only Dutch until sold around the age of 9, together with a flock of sheep, for $100.

Suffering hardships, her third master made her marry an older slave with whom she had five children.

In 1827, she escaped to Canada. After New York abolished slavery, she returned as a domestic servant and helped with Elijah Pierson's street-corner preaching.

Her name was Sojourner Truth. In 1843, Sojourner Truth heard "a voice from Heaven" and began spreading "God's truth and plan for salvation."

In Massachusetts, she worked with abolitionists William Lloyd Garrison and Frederick Douglass.

After the Emancipation Proclamation, Sojourner Truth moved to Washington, D.C., met Lincoln and helped former slaves.

In 1850, she dictated her biography, The Narrative of Sojourner Truth: A Northern Slave, stating:

"When I left the house of bondage I left everything behind. I wanted to keep nothing of Egypt on me, and so I went to the Lord and asked him to give me a new name."

Sojourner Truth continued:

"I set up my banner, and then I sing, and then folks always comes up 'round me, and then...I tells them about Jesus."

Her last full day on earth was NOVEMBER 25, 1883. Sojourner Truth would begin her messages:

"Children, I talk to God and God talks to me."

(Brought to you by AmericanMinute.com)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login