Advanced

Mercy Triumps Over Judgment

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Mercy Triumps Over Judgment
June 07, 2008 06:42PM
MERCY TRIUMPS OVER JUDGMENT

June 4, 2008

"So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." James 2:12-13

While reading many posts and articles regarding judgment coming to America a sadness overcame my spirit. So much is being spoken about judgment but little or none is spoken of mercy. Where is the mercy that has been extended to us by our dear Lord, Christ Jesus? There is a saying, "when you point a finger at another, three more are pointing back at you." We must be mindful. Who are we following after, the Pharisees or our Lord Jesus Christ who saw the sin in the world and rather than judging it ("And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world." John 12:47) Why are so many voices out there voices of judgment rather than that of our Lord? Jesus was presented with many opportunities to judge others but He didn't! He extended mercy. And as far as I know, we are to walk in His ways, following after what He did. Sometimes I think we strive so hard to analyze God's Word, studying it from a natural view point that we lose the simplicity of it. Even now, I am sure there is much of the written Word that we hold as "gospel" rather than seeing that the Lord was striving to point something out to us, thus He had it remain in the Bible as an example.

Look at King David, a man after God's own heart. People could build a doctrine and theology of their walk with God by following after David. Why, the Bible even speaks of how David lusted after Bathsheba, so much so that he had her husband sent out to battle where David knew that he would be killed. After all, Bathsheba was carrying King David's child at this time and he didn't want Uriah to find this out, so having him killed seemed like the best alternative. Yes, this is what King David did. The same King David that is declared as "a man after God's own heart." There is no doubt that David loved God and that God loved David, so why not structure one's life after this man? Someone could say that it is alright to steal another man's wife. After all, David did it and lived to tell about it. Yes, we could say that the Bible goes on to say how David learned of his sin before God and repented of it. But what if someone stopped there and decided to build their knowledge in God through David alone, before his repentance? Dear Ones, that doesn't sound right to us yet we know many have built their theology and doctrine based upon a few Scriptures rather than the whole context of God's Word, do we not?

The last couple of years the Holy Spirit has instructed me to read through the Bible in a year. Then to read it through again the next year. And the next. And the next. What has opened up is a whole picture of God's heart towards us. No longer is the Bible a book to study, it is a book that reveals the very heart of God, some plain to see through the text, more revealed by the Holy Spirit through the hidden treasures God has placed in there for us to find. Proverbs 25:2 tells us that "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter." Hallelujah!!! We need to search out the matters of God's heart with the help of the Holy Spirit. That is why Jesus said it was good that He was sending the Holy Spirit. He knew how it would profit us. Glory to God!!!

Another expression that is coming to mind is "You can't see the forest through the trees." When we try to study God's Word without the leading and revelation available to us through Christ Jesus, it is as is we are viewing the Bible in the midst of the forest. All we can see are the trees around us and those things that are "visible" in a small area. When we read all of God’s Word asking for the Holy Spirit to open our hearts to His truths, we come to see from a “heavenly” viewpoint. We can see overall what is happening. We come to understand that the Bible is not only a historical account of God’s people, but it is in essence a love letter from the Creator of the universe, sharing His heart and His interaction with mankind. With the Holy Spirit’s help, we no longer just see the “trees” but we can see the “forest” from an aerial or spiritual view. The puzzle that was all set in various “pieces” (or trees that once blocked the entire forest) now become a glorious picture, whole and complete. Praise be to God!!!

What becomes clear from reading the Bible cover to cover is that God is not looking to strike us over the head because of our sin. Yes, He abhors sin! But I fully believe He abhors sin because He knows what it does to the lives of those He loves so much. Sin leads to death. It lessens the life of a person and steals the very abundant life God desires that we all live in. Look at what He gave to Adam - Paradise! He provided all Adam needed to live a prosperous life while walking day by day with the One who created Him. Not a bad deal. But look what sin/disobedience caused to happen., the fall of man. But God didn’t leave man at this fallen state. He had a plan from the very beginning of time and has restored us back to Him through His Son, Christ Jesus. God could have wiped out mankind from the beginning by destroying Adam and Eve in the garden - but He didn’t. Why didn’t He? Because He loved them. God’s discipline doesn’t come to destroy us. NO! It comes to bring correction. We read in Proverbs 13:24, “He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him …”. God placed that verse there for our learning, to tell us that He brings discipline because He loves us.

Perhaps the thing I am most astounded at in reading the Old Testament was of God’s patience towards the Jewish people who would sin against Him. Time and again He would forgive their sins if they repented before Him. Continually He longed for them to fellowship with Him and to walk in His ways. In Nehemiah we read of God’s mercy. God desires mercy over judgment and we can see that over and over again as He demonstrated His mercy throughout the Old Testament. Yes, there were times when judgment came but God desires that people would repent so that He did not have to send His judgment.

So why do we so often hear about God’s coming judgment without reminding people of His desire to extend mercy if they would but repent? Why are we not extending God’s goodness and mercy today by being examples of His only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ? If Jesus didn’t come to judge the world but to save it, are we not to do the same. Should we not weep before the throne when people’s hearts are far from the Lord, interceding on their behalf as does our Savior, Jesus Christ? Why are we not preparing the way for the Lord to work in the hearts of people by asking forgiveness of our own sins and praying for the lost? As we judge others, so will we be judged. Jesus said they are already judged when they do not believe in Him that our heavenly Father sent. Sometimes we are more focused on the sin rather than the commission that our Lord Jesus gave us (And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. (Matthew 28:18-20).

Unless we know that we know that the Lord is calling us to bring forth a word of correction to His people or to the world, we must check our own lives before bringing forth that word. In Romans 2:1-4 we read:

“You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things. And we know that God, in his justice, will punish anyone who does such things. 3 Since you judge others for doing these things, why do you think you can avoid God’s judgment when you do the same things? 4 Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?”

If we are so concerned about the coming judgment, let us remind one another that judgment starts in the house of God. Let us take the beam out of our own eyes rather than focusing on the splinter in others. And may out hearts be broken for the unsaved, desiring to being living epistles in whom Jesus is found and shown to a lost and dying world.

The other day I had an opportunity to share with someone who was very weighted down with the cares of the world that the Lord wants us to have our eyes set upon Him so that we would know of His love and His kindness to those who love Him. We need to see God as the awesome and incredible God that He is. Is there anything in this world that He could not change if He so desired to? I think not. Throughout the Bible we see that God allowed the enemy to come against His people when the stepped outside of His will for their lives. He gave them every opportunity to repent before the enemy was allowed access to them . God would have much preferred to have them repent and turn back to Him rather than to bring judgment against them. When we truly come to understand that God’s plans for us is for good, not to harm us but to prosper us, we will be so grateful for Who He is and for His goodness that it will humble us before Him and before others.

Jesus came to save the world. He came with the desire to bring God’s heavenly kingdom upon the earth as it is in heaven. Jesus did great good to the people He encountered and never judged a one of them, even one who was healing people in His name but was not part of the disciples He had called out. The disciples surely did not do everything 100% perfect and it didn’t throw Him into a tizzy as we see happening so much in the church today. Shame on us! Jesus said that we were to show the world that we were His disciples by the love we have one towards another. I think we spend more time critiquing others ministries than we do in praying for one another! That is a very sad state of affairs.

Things need to change. Yes, we need to pray for greater discernment - for ourselves and for others who are our brothers and sisters in Christ. Just think, if we pray for great discernment not only for ourselves but for others as well, will not the Lord be able to keep us from being deceived by the enemy? Only the hard-hearted will not be moved by the will of God. Nothing we say can change their hearts. God alone changes the hearts of men. Therefore we need to walk in love as did our Lord Jesus and speak words of correction ONLY as the Lord leads. And we need to focus more on Jesus, drawing closer in relationship with Him and studying His walk upon the earth. Sometimes we follow after the disciples and what they had to say rather than the very example our precious Lord gave us when He walked the earth. May we knit our hearts with His in the days ahead and allow His Spirit to rise up in us and may we have a heart like John the Baptist, desiring to decrease so that Christ Jesus might increase in us to the glory of our heavenly Father. Holy One, help us that this might be so, in Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
Anonymous User
Re: Mercy Triumps Over Judgment
June 08, 2008 08:35AM
Amen and amen.

Very, very good. To the point and very insightful. You do show the "Love of God" and His mercy to all people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login