Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guard Your Hearts

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Guard Your Hearts
May 04, 2007 11:32PM
Yesterday, while drying my hair in preparation to go to the gathering in our town for the National Day of Prayer, a thought came to my mind about how many well known pastors are criticized by others for the way they live a life style that is above the average. Then I thought about we often hear saints criticizing other saints or their local pastors.. Now I didn’t know why these thoughts had come to me but I began meditating on them, wondering how the Lord looked upon this. Then I heard in my spirit, “Guard your heart with all diligence” (this comes from Proverbs 4:23: Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.) I instantly understood that we had to be careful of what we allowed ourselves to think or do. When we spend a lot of time judging the actions of others our own hearts become calloused and cold. Then the Holy Spirit brought to my remembrance how Jesus longed to gather Jerusalem to Himself and that they did not come brought great sadness to Him (Matthew 23:37 - O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, murdering the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a mother fowl gathers her brood under her wings, and you refused!) Judgment will come to those who refuse to accept Christ as their Lord but we must always remember our Lord’s heart, that Jesus came out of obedience and love to the Father and love towards mankind. Our heavenly Father desires mercy over judgment and it is His desire that none should perish. If we are so busy condemning and judging others for their wrong doing before it is their time to be judged we are in danger of exposing our hearts to bitterness and anger to name a few. When we guard our hearts with all diligence it means we are striving to keep it open to the heart of our Lord and to walk in His love and mercy. When we judge another it is often because we think we know better then them. If our hearts are not humbled by our own sin and short comings and knowing that we have received the mercy and goodness of God through Christ Jesus then pride can set in. Proverbs 16:18 tells us, “Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.” Yes, it is important that we guard our hearts with all vigilance.

Later, after the prayer gathering, a mother of one of our daughters' friend came up to me. I had not talked with her for several years, each of our daughters having graduated high school and going on in different directions. She excitedly began talking to me and it wasn’t long before I realized that she had gotten involved in some New Age beliefs, in fact, she shared a lot of them with me and another mom I hadn’t seen in years joined us and from our conversation it was clear that she was a Christian. In years past I know that I would have judged this first mother as being way off track and my approach to her would have been different. But I believe the Lord was showing me that very morning to guard my heart, to not think more highly of myself because of the Truth I had and that was stolen from her by the father of lies. I could feel the Lord’s heart break for this woman who thought she had great revelation and enlightenment but who was being deceived. But rather than telling her how wrong she was and cramming Scripture down her throat, I was able to step back a moment and really listen from where she was coming from and recognizing that she is truly searching for truth, having thought she had found it. In love I was able to share how I understood where she was coming from and why and would interject Scripture as the Holy Spirit led. Now I didn't change her mind but I believe she is open to speak together again, as she said we would keep in touch. And in the meantime she will be lifted in prayer.When our hearts are soft before the Lord we really can feel what He feels and know the great love He has towards us. If we walk with a sense of superiority over others our hearts become cold and hardened. A critical heart is not of God.

God is pouring out a greater understanding of His love than ever before. And He wants us to walk in His love for the world is in great need of it. What are the issues of life that come forth from our hearts, spoken through our mouths? Are our hearts filled with God’s love? Perhaps we can measure where we are in our walk by reading 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”

Let us guard our hearts so that the issues of life that come forth from it reaches out to those who are in need of His love and the salvation He has made available to all through His Son Jesus Christ.

God bless,
Joan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 08:23AM by Joan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login