Permit it... July 24, 2004 entry

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Permit it... July 24, 2004 entry
June 11, 2007 06:20AM
Permit it....

July 24 2004

Good Morning Lord,

Well Lord, her I sit on the side of the road, waiting for the tow truck. It was as if the car just gave up the Holy Ghost! First it was going full steam and next you know all power was lost and I was able to coast to the side of the road. Thank You, Lord!

I’ve had plenty of time to sit here, praise You, and pray. It suddenly hit me why I didn’t get to the verse I wanted to yesterday and share it in this journal. It wasn’t by accident that it was done then because You wanted to give me greater understanding of it this morning!

The verse that I am referring to is in Matthew 3:15 and it reads, “ But Jesus answering said to him, “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness“. Lord, I know this verse had significant meaning for it is the first placed recorded word You speak in Scripture. You originally spoke it to John when You wanted him to baptize You and he did not feel worthy to do so and said that he had need to be baptized by You rather than he baptizing You! It is so easy to see that John was surprised here and found this event not to be what he expected.

Lord, the first understanding that was given to me through this verse was that John had an expectation of what it would be like when You, the Lord he was proclaiming, would come. John did not expect to be baptizing You, but thought it would be different from what You were requesting of Him. Was this not the same as Israel and the Jewish people who were waiting for their Messiah to come? Did they not have certain expectations of what the arrival of the Messiah would mean to them and for them? Did they not anticipate Him coming as a redeemer who would free them from the bondage placed upon by their captors? Would He not free them from their oppressors? Oh, yes, there certainly were expectations that ran in the hearts of His people - so much so that many could not recognize You as their Messiah, especially those who knew the written Word inside and out (need to study John 5:39-40!). Their minds had already formed an image, a notion, of Who You were and how You would come and what You would do. So, when You came as You did, You did not fit their mindsets and many rejected You.

Lord Jesus, John also had a preconceived idea of what it would be like when You came. I can almost visualize the shocked look upon John’s face when you came to him to be baptized. This could not be, thought John as he spoke these words to his Messiah with a questioning look upon his face, “I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me”

In so many words You told John that he needed to do this, that he must allow it to happen like this in order to fulfill all righteousness. There were things in Your life upon the earth that You had to do, to go through in order to fulfill Scripture to bring righteousness upon the earth through You. Jesus, You were brought low so that we might be brought high. You had to suffer so that we might rejoice. You had to leave Your heavenly Father so that we might see Him. You had to die so that we might live. You came upon the earth so that we might know heaven. Oh, precious One, how can we ever thank You for all You have done for us? How great is the Father’s love towards us that He would sacrifice such a One as You. My mind cannot conceive of such a love as this, yet my heart is filled with awe and thanksgiving, touched by a love that frees the soul. So freeing! Lord, I am hearing the song, Drift Away and hearing it in regards to You!

Give me the beat that frees my soul, Lord, I want to get lost in Your rock and roll and drift away! Lord that beat is Your heart beating in mine! I want to drift away into Your loving arms and get lost in the sweetness of Your love! Yes, Lord, You free my soul. Thanks for the life you’ve given me!!! Thank You Father. Thank You Sweet Jesus. I love You! I must take a moment to praise You..

P.S.

After writing this out I wanted to find the words of that song but did not know who the singer was so I looked up “Drift Away” for the internet search. The first site it gave was “Second Hand Songs - Drift Away - Humble Pie (1974)” and I thought, how funny. We have to be “Humble” to receive Him! Could not find the words there so went onto the second site and it read, “Drift Away - Dobie Gray, Grateful Dead, Rock Song Lyrics” and I had a laugh again - Yes, Lord, we are the grateful dead, dead to this world and alive to You! Hallelujah!

Anyway, here’s the lyrics, with a few some additions. Let us drift away into the arms of the Lover of our soul…

Drift Away
Dobie Gray, Grateful Dead

Day after day I'm more confused [ain’t it the truth!]
Yet I look for the light [Jesus, You are the Light!]
Through the pourin' rain [You’ve sent Your Spirit]
You know that's a game that I hate to lose [On Your team we‘re winners!]
And I'm feeling the strain [Life’s tough, Lord!]
Ain't it a shame [Oh, if only we all walked obedient to God!]

Oh, give me the beat, [Lord]boys, and free my soul [Jesus, Your heart - let it beat freeing in my soul!]
I want to get lost in your rock and roll
And drift away [into Your loving arms]
[repeat]

Beginning to think that I'm wasting time [There’s time it seems I’m going no where]
I don't understand the things I do [ Help, Jesus!]
The world outside looks so unkind [at the ready to steal, kill and destroy!]
Now I'm counting on you [My help comes from You, Jesus!]
To carry me through [Jesus, You are my strength!]

Oh, give me the beat, [Lord]boys, and free my soul
And drift away
[repeat]

And when my mind is free [Renewed with Your thoughts, Your ways]
You know a melody can move me [Songs of worship touch deeply]
And when I'm feeling blue [I need to know I’m loved by You]
The guitar's coming through to soothe me [Thanks for the gift of music!]
Thanks for the joy that you're given me [Joy unspeakable! Joy abounding!]
I want you to know I believe in your song [You are the Song of Solomon, You are My Beloved!]
Your rhythm and rhyme and harmony [You are the beginning, the end and
everything in between!] You've helped me along [Even when I didn’t know it]
Makin' me strong [When I am weak, You are strong]

Oh, give me the beat, [Lord]boys, and free my soul
And drift away
[repeat]
Na, na, now won't ya
Won't ya take, oh ha ..take me [I’m Yours, Jesus!!!]

(Dobie Gray)

All words in brackets [ ] written by Joan Bowe
Anonymous User
Re: Permit it... July 24, 2004 entry
June 13, 2007 06:37PM
I hope that the forerunners do not forget this about expectations; that they have not set something else above to see it only smashed because the Lord comes suddenly His way.
May we always be humble before Him, and see the way of His choosing of coming in in this next move of God.

Thanks for this word, Joan.

And I hope that you're not still on the side of the road? smiling bouncing smiley

kidding.

Many in the church are missing it. They think they know how He [the Lord] is going to come. Many are so prideful that they think it's going to be 'their' church, yet, Jesus [the Lord] came to the wilderness and then to the synagogue for the reading of His message so that we may know that 'the Word... in this day is fulfilled'.
Jesus was an ordinary man to the people in His day, for He was a carpenter's son [which He was referred to so many times], and His family was mentioned many other times also. HE was not recognized because the people could not look beyond their religious ways nor their preconceived ideas about other people. The people had been preaching a lot, but yet they did not know the Word, and so they missed Him! Will it be like that this day? I hope not. But, alas, it will probably occur more often than not. That's why our hearts are to be humbled, and our spirits open to the Spirit of the Lord so that we recognize His coming, for the Lord shall come to His house suddenly!

Joan, I was looking at those words: rock and roll. It made me think of the Rock [Jesus] and that roll as so-called holy-rollers [who are baptized in the Holy Ghost]. smiling bouncing smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login