Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hebrews 6:17-18 - According to God

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Hebrews 6:17-18 - According to God
April 22, 2008 07:02AM
"Accordingly God also, in His desire to show more convincingly and beyond doubt to those who were to inherit the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose and plan, intervened (mediated) with an oath. this was so that, by two unchangeable things [His promise and His oath] in which it is impossible for God ever to prove false or deceive us, we who have fled [to Him] for refuge might have mighty indwelling strength and strong encouragement to grasp and hold fast the hope appointed for us and set before [us]." Hebrews 6:17-18

God has given promises to His people and He wanted them to know that His promises were sure.. He wanted them to know that what He promised He would fulfill so He gave two things that were unchangeable because, two things that we can hold fast to because we know God cannot lie. He has given us His promise and His oath. While researching the other day in Hebrews I saw something that I would like to share with you. Let us look at what Funk & Wagnall’s dictionary has to say about these words:

Promise - n.1. An assurance given by one person to another that the former will or will not perform a specified act. 2. Reasonable ground for hope or expectation, esp. of future excellence or satisfaction.

Oath - n. 1. A formal declaration in support of a pledge or promise, usually based on an appeal to God or some higher institution or figure; also the form of the declaration.

When I read these definitions I knew in my spirit that the Lord was showing me that the "promise" was what God gave to His people especially in regards to the coming of His Son, the Messiah. The promise was the expectation of He Who was to come. The "oath" was given by our Lord Jesus Christ, confirming the "promise" given by God before hand, the one confirming the other. The written Word was God's "promise" of salvation to mankind. The "oath" was the Word made flesh, our Lord Jesus Christ, Whose very life, death and resurrection support the promise given to God's people before Jesus' birth. God did not want us to doubt what His will and desire is towards those who are His so He presented to us an undeniable certainty, through His Written Word and through His Son, the Word made flesh. If you have searched the Scriptures you know there is no way to deny the truth that is set forth there and that it was no mere man or men could have composed such a masterpiece and wonderment. Only our Creator could have placed a world of knowledge, wisdom and truth into one book whose pages not only tell of life from it's beginning to end, but it is alive, glory to God!!! How blessed are we to have both the promise and the oath of God to show us where we stand with Him. We are greatly loved by Him and He desires us to be joint heirs with His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ.

People around us might change. Circumstances can change. Weather can change in a blink of an eye. Styles change. In a world filled with so much change it is easy to become unsure of who we are and what our purpose is and the enemy is well aware of that. He tries to use times of change to throw us off balance and into uncertainty. No matter what changes around us, we need to know that God is unchangeable. He is not a man that He can lie. His word is yea and amen. Let us never forget that which He has given us to let us know that we know where we stand with Him. He has given us His promise and His oath. Thank You, Lord!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login