Advanced

Song of Solomon 2:1 - July 24, 2015

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Song of Solomon 2:1 - July 24, 2015
July 24, 2015 07:27AM
Song of Solomon 2:1 - The Rose of Sharon

“I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.” Song of Solomon 2:1

There are many who say that this verse is not referring to Jesus for it is of the feminine gender and that even the rose of Sharon mentioned in Scripture is not like the rose of Sharon we now know in our day. Having said that for “factual” consideration, I was led to still present this verse in reference to our Lord as an issue of the heart rather than a matter of fact. Over the last eight years and especially over the past few I have noticed when listening to many songs (I am very fond of country music when not listening to Christians CDs or tapes) that there are many which are written as a love song to the love of their life and in fact there are written of a person in the natural. Yet, as I listen, I hear these words of love become an issue of the heart that addresses them to my Lord and my King, my Beloved Jesus. I find myself looking at things differently than the world does and seeing Jesus in things and places that others might with a person or thing in the natural.

So, when I think of Jesus as being the rose of Sharon or as the lily of the valleys, I think of Him in His beauty and sweet scent that fills the air, delights the eye and touches the heart. And when I think of this flower my memory goes to my childhood where my parents had the Rose of Sharon bushes in our back yard. There were six of them, three on each side of a walk way. As I look at them now in light of our Lord, they were like soldiers or protectors standing full and strong guiding the path. And the greatest beauty came when the flowers were in full bloom. Is this not so for us, when Christ is allowed to come to full bloom in us, that His beauty is not only seen but felt within our hearts? Ah, how majestic is our Lord, the sweet rose of Sharon, bringing healing to the soul, beauty to our lives, and union with Him and our Father. Praise His Holy Name.

Let us meditate on the Lord and His beauty as we consider the words to the song by Ida A. Guirey:

“Jesus, Rose of Sharon”

Jesus, Rose of Sharon, bloom within my heart;
Beauties of Thy truth and holiness impart,
That where’er I go my life may shed abroad
Fragrance of the knowledge of the love of God.

Refrain

Jesus, blessèd Jesus, Rose of Sharon,
Bloom in radiance
And in love within my heart.
Jesus, Rose of Sharon, sweeter far to see
Than the fairest flow’rs of earth could ever be,
Fill my life completely, adding more each day
Of Thy grace divine and purity, I pray.

Refrain

Jesus, Rose of Sharon, balm for ev’ry ill,
May Thy tender mercy’s healing power distil
For afflicted souls of weary burdened men,
Giving needy mortals health and hope again.

Refrain

Jesus, Rose of Sharon, bloom forevermore;
Be Thy glory seen on earth from shore to shore,
Till the nations own Thy sov’reignty complete,
Lay their honors down and worship at Thy feet
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login