Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Galatians 5:16-18- August 11

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
August 11, 2015 09:56PM

"I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law." - Galatians 5:16-18

Growing up I went to church but, to be honest, I didn't really learn much about the Bible. I was taught what was the traditions of the church and a lot was read from the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). It was in my late teens that I sensed there was more to God and His Son but didn't know how to go about finding it. It was in my early twenties that the Bible was opened up to me in a wonderful way through a friend of my husband and that learning and wonder continues today.

To be honest, I thought when I accepted Jesus as Lord, my life would be easy and it would be blessed. Didn't realize what a battle would take place within me. My life has been blessed but it surely hasn't been easy. This verse in Galatians says it all, "the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh. They are contrary to one another, so that they do not do the things that you wish." This battle will go on pretty much for the rest of our lives. But when we are in Christ, we are able to walk by the Spirit if we understand how God has provided for us to overcome sin through Christ in us. We don't have to feel like there is no hope. If we make a mistake, then we can ask the Lord for help, understanding that He has given us everything we need to overcome our weaknesses. We might find ourselves making those mistakes over and over again, but like that bike analogy I used early on in these devotions, if we keep getting back on the bike, if we trust the Lord's strength and presence within us, one day we will overcome that weakness and it will not be a challenge any longer. Just like we learn to ride that bike after some persistence to learn, one day we are riding that bike with great confidence and so can it be in our walk with the Lord. We might not get it at first, but the more we give it to Him, trusting that we are made new in Him, there will come a day that walking in His ways will be so natural.

So what are the characteristics of the flesh and that of the Spirit? In the days ahead we will read about that so that we know just what these "contrary" things are. The things of the flesh are not going to be presented here to shame or condemn anyone. Jesus came to fulfill the law so when we live in Christ we don't live by the law but rather we walk as sons and daughters of the Most High God, hopefully growing from day to day, from glory to glory, and wanting to honor Him out of the gratitude for all He has done for us through His Son and because our hearts are filled with a reciprocal love for Him...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login