Advanced

Read New Testament - Day 17 - 1 Peter 1 - 2

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Read New Testament - Day 17 - 1 Peter 1 - 2
December 17, 2018 07:17PM
Read New Testament in Three Months

December 17 - 1 Peter 1 - 2

Peter wrote this sometime between 63 and 64 A.D. to encourage the scattered church in Asia Minor. From the time of Christ on earth, much persecution was taking place and with the reign of Nero in Rome, it surely was intensifying for believers. Peter desires to guide and comfort these brothers and sisters and to share how, though it might seem hard to walk as followers of Christ, they should see what that it actually is a time of rejoicing and thanks giving.

How important it is for us to read the Word of God and to study it so that we are not tossed to and from with every wind of doctrine. As I read these chapters and the others before this there is no denying that the enemy has brought in a lot of deception and error in the church. There is so much today mentioned about prosperity and God's love yet so little in comparison to obedience and suffering and persecution that we will endure as good soldiers of Christ. Because of this, many have turned their backs to God and Christ because their prayers weren't answered the way they thought they would be or because they suffered loss or persecution and blamed God for it. Oh, how we ALL need to read God's Word so that we know just who He is, what Jesus accomplished upon the cross and in His resurrection and who we are in Him and what is required of us as God's child and Christ's follower! Holy Spirit, please help us to understand all of this for His glory, in Jesus' Name we pray!

In the first chapter of Peter we see that though Jesus cleansed us from our sins, we are not to consider our salvation without any progress on our parts. In Genesis it was the Holy Spirit in us that ceased to be because of man's lack of obedience.. When God said that if man ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he would surely die. God didn't miss the mark because neither Adam or Eve died in the natural. Every man is born with spirit, soul and body. The part of man's spirit that was "Holy" like God ceased to exist in them when they were disobedient to God's command (Genesis 2:17), it was that which 'died' in man. The Law was given to man so that he could know what was sin before God and what was not.. And to show the need of the their need for redemption back to right standing with God. It is this part that Christ Jesus redeemed for mankind so that we could be "holy" once again. In 1 Peter 1:23 we read that we have been regenerated, born again. not of a mortal seed but by the Spirit of God which now, through Christ, lives and abides in us. Even in this, we start out, as in our natural bodies, as babes in the Lord and have to learn - not by a natural parent- but by the Holy Spirit made available to us once again through Jesus' sacrifice, death and resurrection, praise be to God!!!

The 1 Peter 2:2 really stood out to me: "Like newborn babies you should crave (thirst for, earnestly desire) the pure (unadulterated) spiritual milk, that by it you may be nurtured and grow unto [completed] salvation. As I meditate on newborns, it is easy to see how they behave. With that awareness, a sense of conviction came over me for myself and for the body of Christ at large. For many who accept Christ as their Lord, it seems we desire the gifts of the Spirit before fully growing up in the Spirit! I can count myself in this group, desiring so much to be used by God to bring Him glory. The motive was good it missed God's heart in the matter. It's like the child who wants to walk in mommy's high heels. She might look cute in her attempt but the fact of the matter is she could twist her ankle or even fall down and hurt herself badly, leaving scars. Its her heart to be just like her mommy but she hasn't grown up enough to do it the right way.

What does a baby do? It seeks its mother for food, protection, warmth and understanding.A baby will look at a mother or father to see if there is something to be concerned about, reading their eyes, voice and movement. When a baby is in need no one else will do other then their parent. And as they grow into their toddler years, they observe their parent/parents and you will often see them mimic them. And that is how we are to be with our Heavenly Father, coming before Him as a newborn, clinging to Him and seeking nourishment and food from Him. Though we might see Him with our natural eyes, we can study Jesus in the Word for He said that if we see Him, we have seen our Heavenly Father for He and Abbas are one, amen? If we try to do adult spiritual things before we are matured to do so, we will end up bruised and hurting. Many have done just that, become beaten and blamed God for it! Lord forgive them. Forgive me. Help us all to grown, first as babes in Christ and then ready to eat the meat You have for us. Let it be so, in Jesus' sweet Name. Amen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login