Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 Timothy 4:8 - Righteous Judge

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
2 Timothy 4:8 - Righteous Judge
February 02, 2008 07:20AM
“[As to what remains] henceforth there is laid up for me the [victor’s] crown of righteousness [for being right with God and doing right], which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me and recompense me on that [great] day - and not to me only, but also to all those who have loved and yearned for and welcomed His appearance (His return).” 2 Timothy 4:8

As we look in Scripture we will find the word “righteous” listed in 225 verses and the word “righteousness” is found in 297 verses so it appears that the Lord has a lot to say about this topic. So, what does it mean to be righteous, to walk in righteousness? This is how the dictionary defines righteous, “Conforming to a standard of right and justice; virtuous.” God has set forth a standard by which all men must live. It is universal but it is not only in doing that which is right, that which is morally just, that awards one a crown of righteousness. Many people who have not accepted Jesus as Lord will tell you that they are good people, they do that which is right so they believe they will go to heaven. These have been deceived to think that it is their righteous acts that gain them entrance to God’s kingdom and while it is important that we strive to be righteous, that is only part of what God requires of us. He requires that we be right with Him and Jesus is the only One Who can bring us to right standing before God. Because of Adam and Eve’s disobedience to God we were born into sin because our DNA, so to speak, no longer had Holy Spirit abiding in it. No matter what good works were done after that, it did not bring salvation unto man. Even the sacrifices of the Jewish people did not produce a lasting salvation and was only temporary. It was only by the blood of the Lamb of God, by His death and resurrection and believing on Christ Jesus as the Son of God that man was once again made in right standing with God

In Psalm 7:11-12 we read, “God is a righteous Judge, yes, a God Who is indignant every day. If a man does not turn and repent [God] will whet His sword; He has strung and bent His [huge] bow and made it ready [by threading it with His foot.]. While we see judgment being doled by God in the Old Testament we see where He has handed it over to Jesus, “For even as the Father has life in Himself and is self-existent, so He has given to the Son to have life in Himself and be self-existent. And He has given authority and granted Him power to execute (exercise, practice) judgment because He is a Son of man [every man] (John 5:26-27).” And while we consider that Jesus walked in God’s love and mercy we must be mindful of a judgment day coming. Look at Jesus’ words in Matthew 10:15, “ Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.” And again at Matthew 12:36, “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” We ourselves will give an account before Him and those who are striving to live by His Spirit, walking in His ways by His strength will have nothing to fear for we know we are cleansed by His blood. But if we do not see the character of Christ in us or do not have a peace about His coming we need to ask ourselves why this is. Is there shame in our life or perhaps we have not spent the time to develop a personal relationship with our Lord. How many of us can honestly say that we “have loved and yearned for and welcomed His appearance (His return)”? If one’s heart is at peace, hallelujah! If not then it is time to examine ourselves now, before He comes to judge us. Yes, He will judge righteously, for He is fair and just. But it will be too late for Him to extend mercy to those who have willfully turned their back to God’s mercy and grace or who have knowingly abused it.

I believe we are in the last days and that His glorious appearing could be any second, in the twinkling of an eye. Whether it be today, tomorrow or a hundred years from now, should we not allow the Spirit of God to search our hearts to see if there is any darkness there that we can repent of now? And should we not ask the Lord to give us a hunger for the lost so that we can pray for them, share the Good News to them that they might be spared the judgment of the Righteous Judge?

Let us pause to consider these words, “And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns; and He had a name written, that no man knew, but He Himself. And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood; and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed Him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of His mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it He should smite the nations: and He treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almight God. And He hath on His vesture and on His thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.” Revelation 19:11-16

Ask yourself, “Am I ready for the Righteous Judge’s coming? Are my loved ones, my neighbors?” Better to ask ourselves this now before it is too late. God bless you all with truth and righteousness, in Jesus’ name. Amen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login