Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matthew 6:22 - The Light of the Body

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Matthew 6:22 - The Light of the Body
February 25, 2008 04:13AM
“The light of the body is the eye; if therefore thing eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.” Matthew 6:22

To give a greater understanding of this verse, the word “single” here is the Greek word haplous and means “free from defect, unspotted. Understanding it as such will give more clarity to it’s usage.

“The light of the body is in the eye.” Ever put a 40 watt bulb in a room and it looks so dull that we strain to see tings around us and the shadows seem to overtake the light? Well, if our “eyes” are the light of our body, we need to consider what kind of wattage we supply them! How much do we draw upon Him who is the Light of the world? Or do we set our eyes on darkness and things of the world, thus bringing the darkness into our bodies, making it defective and spotted? Websters Dictionary gives the definition of “eye” as ‘organ of sight in man and animals.’ What we set our eyes upon will affect our bodies! We need to be mindful of this so that we do not set our eyes on things that are darkness to us, that could dim the light of our body. As I type this I am reminded of the verse that reads, “and if your right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell” (Matthew 5:29). I never could fully understand this verse before and wondered why the Lord was saying if your eye is bringing darkness, destroy it- the darkness, and cast it far from you. This is being said in the same way in which we are told to “kill the old man.” It is not an actual death to where the body dies, but it is a death of dying to self, old ways, and allowing the spirit of God to grow in us, renewing our minds to Christ and becoming new creatures. If we do not “pluck out the offending” or “dark” eye it will make our whole body sick.

I see the brightness of the day and think of the “light” the Lord has given us and wonder how many of us truly walk in it’s path or do most of us only walk in the “shadow” of its illumination, benefiting partially but being in danger of not seeing things clearly. The Lord wants us to have better than 20/20 vision and we can do so if we keep our eyes upon Him, the Light of the world. Hallelujah!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login