Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Minute- July 18

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
American Minute- July 18
July 18, 2008 11:26AM
American Minute for July 18th:

Prior to the Revolution, British troops were marching toward Fort Duquesne when they were ambushed by the French and Indians. Not accustomed to fighting unless in an open field, the British soldiers were annihilated. 23-year-old Colonel George Washington rode back and forth during the battle delivering orders for General Edward Braddock. Eventually, Braddock was killed and every officer on horseback was shot, except Washington. George Washington wrote of the Battle of Monongahela to his younger brother John, JULY 18, 1755: "As I have heard, since my arrival at this place, a circumstantial account of my death and dying speech, I take this early opportunity of contradicting the first, and of assuring you, that I have not as yet composed the latter. But by the All-Powerful Dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability or expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, although death was leveling my companions on every side of me!" An Indian warrior later declared: "Washington was never born to be killed by a bullet! I had seventeen fair fires at him with my rifle and after all could not bring him to the ground!"

Show Endnotes

Hide Endnotes

Washington, George. July 18, 1755. George Washington, in a letter to his brother. Jared Sparks, ed., The Writings of George Washington 12 vols. (Boston: American Stationer's Co., 1837, NY: F. Andrew's, 1834-1847), Vol. II, p. 89. Joseph Banvard, Tragic Scenes in the History of Maryland & the Old French War (Boston: Gould & Lincoln, 1856), p. 153. George Washington, Programs & Papers (Washington: U.S. George Washington Bicentennial Commission, 1932), p. 33. William J. Johnson, George Washington - The Christian (St. Paul, MN: William J. Johnson, Merriam Park, February 23, 1919; Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 1919; reprinted Milford, MI: Mott Media, 1976; reprinted Arlington Heights, IL: Christian Liberty Press, 502 West Euclid Ave., Arlington Heights, IL., 60004, 1992), p. 40. John F. Schroeder, ed., Maxims of Washington (Mt. Vernon: Mt. Vernon Ladies' Association, 1942), p. 275. Tim LaHaye, Faith of Our Founding Fathers (Brentwood, TN: Wolgemuth & Hyatt, Publishers, Inc., 1987), pp. 102-104.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login