Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Minute - August 12

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
American Minute - August 12
August 12, 2008 07:44AM
American Minute for August 12th:

"O Beautiful, For Spacious Skies, For Amber Waves of Grain..." Almost the National Anthem, "America the Beautiful" was written by Katherine Lee Bates, born AUGUST 12, 1859. Daughter of a Congregational minister, Katherine Lee Bates taught high school, then English literature at Wellesley College. Of her 1893 Colorado journey, Katherine Lee Bates wrote: "Some of the other teachers and I decided to go on a trip to 14,000-foot Pikes Peak. We hired a prairie wagon. Near the top we had to leave the wagon and go the rest of the way on mules. I was very tired. But when I saw the view, I felt great joy. All the wonder of America seemed displayed there, with the sea-like expanse." Printed in The Congregationalist, July 4, 1895, Katharine Lee Bates wrote: "America! America! God shed his grace on thee, And crown thy good with brotherhood, From sea to shining sea!" Meeting with South Korean President Chun Doo Hwan, November 14, 1983, President Reagan said: "At the worship service Sunday morning with our soldiers...less than a mile from one of the most tyrannical regimes on Earth...a choir of little girls...all orphans...closing the service, singing "America, the Beautiful" in our language, was a spiritual experience."

www.AmericanMinute.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login