Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Minute - November 24, 2014 (441 Views)

Anonymous User
American Minute - November 24, 2014 (441 Views)
November 23, 2014 06:45PM
Renaissance - Reformation - Revolution

As Ottoman Muslims invaded Greece, a flood of Greek treasures, art, and literature, including Greek New Testaments, fled west, particularly to Florence, Italy.

This interest in everything Greek became known as the Renaissance.

Florence was ruled by the wealthy Medici family who financed Michelangelo's works of art.

Niccolò Machiavelli's notorious political book, The Prince, was dedicated to the powerful Lorenzo de' Medici, in 1515.

In 1517, the Reformation began, being led by Martin Luther, John Calvin and others.

Lorenzo de' Medici's daughter, Catherine, married the King of France.

After his death she ruled behind the scenes, being credited with the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre in Paris, 1572, sending Protestants fleeing France.

Catherine's teenage son, King Francis II, was married to Mary-Queen of Scots, but he died at age 16.

Mary-Queen of Scots, at age 18, returned to Scotland in 1561.

Immediately, she was criticized by John Knox from the pulpit and admonished by him in private to support the Reformation.

John Knox was one of the first supporters of Scotland's Reformation.

He had previously been arrested and sentenced in 1547 as a galley slave on a French ship.

Sailing away from Scotland, John Knox looked up as they passed St. Andrews and said:

"I see the steeple of that place where God first in public opened my mouth to glory; and I am fully persuaded...I shall not depart this life till my tongue shall glorify his godly name in the same place."

After two years, John Knox was released and exiled to England where he rose to be royal chaplain to the young King Edward VI, helping influence the writing of the Book of Common Prayer.

When King Edward died, his sister Queen Mary Tudor took the throne and attempted to bring England back under the Catholic Church.

John Knox fled England to Geneva, Switzerland, where he met John Calvin.

John Calvin told the Queen of Navarre, April 28, 1945:

“A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent.”

John Knox wrote tracts attacking monarchs then returned to Scotland, John Knox led the Reformation.

He preached a sermon in St. Andrews which stirred hearers to smash statues and loot Catholic churches.

The Scottish Parliament voted to accept the Reformation in 1560, beginning the Presbyterian Church.

Mary-Queen of Scots married Lord Darnley in 1565, but he became jealous of Mary's private secretary, David Rizzio, and had him murdered.

Lord Darnley was then suspiciously killed two years later in an explosion.

The chief suspect in his murder was the Earl of Bothwell, who manipulated Mary into marrying him a month later.

This upheaval caused the Scottish Parliament to force Mary to abdicate her throne in place of her's and Lord Darnley's infant son, James.

James, at the age of 13 months, was crowned King James VI of Scotland, with John Knox giving the coronation sermon.

Bothwell tried to raise forces to return Mary to her throne, but he was captured in Norway and died in prison.

Mary-Queen of Scots fled to England in 1568 for the protection of her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, who held her in custody for 19 years.

Elizabeth was the daughter of Henry VIII by Anne Boleyn.

Anne Boleyn had refused to be another of Henry's mistresses, resulting in him divorcing his first wife, breaking from Rome and beginning the Anglican Church.

Henry VIII later beheaded Anne, and in all had six wives.

Elizabeth sent Sir Francis Drake to circumnavigate the globe, 1577-1580, and fight the Spanish Armada in 1588.

Sir Walter Raleigh founded the Colony of Virginia in 1584, naming it after the virgin Queen Elizabeth.

When Elizabeth was made aware of a plot against her, which questionably implicated Mary-Queen of Scots, Elizabeth signed the order for her execution in 1587.

Sixteen years later, Elizabeth died in 1603, and the son of Mary-Queen of Scots took the throne of England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland as King James I.

King James I, who had been raised by Scottish Presbyterian tutors, is responsible for having both Anglican and Puritan scholars work together to produce the King James Bible.

King James I is the namesake of Jamestown, Virginia - the first permanent English settlement in America.

Scotland's Reformation leader John Knox died NOVEMBER 24, 1572. He had stated:

"A man with God is always in the majority."

The first Presbyterian Church in America was founded by Rev. Francis Makemie in Maryland in 1684.

By the time of the Revolution, the Presbyterian denomination was among the four largest denominations in the country, along with Anglican, Congregational and Baptist.

A descendant of John Knox was Presbyterian minister John Witherspoon, who signed the Declaration of Independence.

Witherspoon served as the President of Princeton College, where he taught 9 of the 55 writers of the U.S. Constitution, including James Madison.

On May 26, 1789, the Presbyterian Churches in the United States wrote to President George Washington:

"We...esteem it a peculiar happiness to behold in our Chief Magistrate, a steady, avowed friend of the Christian religion...who, in his private conduct, adorns the doctrines of the gospel of Christ."

In May of 1789, President George Washington wrote back:

"Gentlemen: I receive with great sensibility the testimonial given by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America...

While I reiterate the professions of my dependence upon Heaven as the source of all public and private blessings;

I will observe that the general prevalence of piety, philanthropy, honesty, industry, and economy seems, in the ordinary course of human affairs, particularly necessary for advancing and conforming the happiness of our country.

While all men within our territories are protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of their consciences;

it is rationally to be expected from them in return, that they will be emulous of evincing the sanctity of their professions by the innocence of their lives and the beneficence of their actions;

for no man who is profligate in his morals, or a bad member of the civil community, can possibly be a true Christian, or a credit to his own religious society.

I desire you to accept my acknowledgments for your laudable endeavors to render men sober, honest, and good citizens, and the obedient subjects of a lawful government,

as well as for your prayers to Almighty God for His blessings on our common country, and the humble instrument which He has been pleased to make use of in the administration of its government."

www.AmericanMinute.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login