Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prayer for Ascension Island

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Prayer for Ascension Island
August 09, 2007 09:15AM
Ascension Island is an island in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 1,000 miles from the coast of Africa. It is a dependency of the British overseas territory of Saint Helena, which is 800 miles to the south east. The Island is named after the day of its recorded discovery, Ascension Day.

Ascension Island does not have its own flag or coat of arms. The Union Flag and Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom are used instead.

The Portuguese explorer João da Nova is believed to be the first person to discover the island in 1501, but did not report it. When in 1503 Alphonse d'Albuquerque (Afonso of Albuquerque) saw the island on Ascension Day as listed on the Roman Catholic Church calendar, he named it for that day of its sighting. Dry and barren, it had little appeal for passing ships except for collecting fresh meat. Mariners could hunt for the numerous seabirds and the enormous female green turtles who laid their eggs on the sandy beaches.

Ascension Island became inhabited in 1815, when the British garrisoned it as a precaution after imprisoning Napoleon I on St Helena to the southeast. The Royal Navy officially designated the island as a stone frigate, "HMS Ascension", with the classification of "Sloop of War of the smaller class".

Prayer:

Father I again this day come humbly into your presence to lay Ascension Island and all of it’s inhabitants at the foot of your son’s cross. I do not know that they know you, so work on and in them, the people, to turn unto you and declare that you are Lord of their lives.

Accept their repentance, and remember what your only begotten son said as he hung on that cross “forgive the Father for they know not what they do”. Amen.
Anonymous User
Re: Prayer for Ascension Island
October 15, 2007 02:04PM
Yes, Abba, please forgive the people of this land "for they know not what they do." Open their hearts that they might receive Him Whom You sent, for Your glory and honor, in Jesus' name we pray. Amen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login